Intuitive Eating, as developed by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch, has been the subject of more than
125 studies demonstrating positive results on both psychological and physical health.
This approach to eating follows 10 principles that allow us to rediscover a trusting and serene relationship with food and your body.
I am the only person in Wallonie who has been formally trained in Intuitive Eating
- What is Intuitive Eating?
- The cycle of restriction and over-eating
- What kind of things do we talk about?
- What happens during the coaching?
- Are you considering bariatric surgery?
My opinion on weight points towards body neutrality.
The shape of someone’s body bears no relation to morality, to their value as a person. It isn’t even a definitive indicator to a person’s health even though we are pushed towards believing otherwise.
The shape of someone’s body should not be a criteria on which to base access to respect, healthcare or anything else.
What is Intuitive Eating?
The approach fights against the dieting culture and the negative spiral of weight loss and weight gain that it causes. You know it as yoyo dieting. You put on the weight you lost and more back on, you spend your time fighting against your body, blaming yourself for having “failed”, for lacking willpower, then you start a diet again, one day you end up falling off that wagon, you blame yourself and feel bad and you start all over again….. It is not, in fact, a character flaw and you can get out of it.
This is not a weight management program or an eating program.
The methodology could have an effect on your weight following changes in your behaviour but weight management isn’t the goal. The goal is finding serenity with food and in your body.
The 10 principles:
1) Reject the diet mentality
2) Honour your hunger
3) Make peace with food
4) Challenge the Food Police
5) Discover the Satisfaction Factor
6) Feel your fullness
7) Manage your emotions with kindness
8) Respect your body
9) Movement – Feel the difference
10) Honour your health with gentle nutrition
If you’re interested in hearing more about this first I strongly recommend this podcast:
Ten Percent Happier Podcast with Dan Harris, son invité est Evelyn Tribole
The cycle of restrictions and over-eating
You may recognise yourself in this image. It represents the circular model of restrictions and over-eating I mentionned earlier and explains how we get completely stuck in dieting.
What kind of things does this coaching include?
• Rejecting the diet mentality
• Interoceptive awareness, i.e. feeling, recognising and responding to the body’s signals, its inner wisdom.
• Recovering and recognising the true sensations of hunger and satiety that have been altered over time, sometimes to the point where they are only felt in the extremes.
• Rediscovering trust in your body, no longer responding to random external rules but to your real needs.
• Make peace with your body, stop fighting against it, find your qualities and leave aside what you think are your faults.
• Rediscovering the full satisfaction of eating, the pleasure.
• No longer having cravings and impulses that are difficult to control.
• Managing your emotions other than by eating.
• Exercise for the pleasure of moving, not out of obligation or to lose weight.
What happens during the coaching?
Appointments are scheduled +- 1 week apart at first. Once the framework is set appointments can be scheduled according to your needs.
During the first session we’ll determine your specific goal.
I will give you the “yellow file”. This folder contains information about L’Essentiel and your first worksheets such as the one on which to note your goal and its benefits, one that serves as a coaching journal, another to take note of your successes along the way. You can also store your notes and future worksheets in it.
After that we will explore and maybe deconstruct beliefs that fit within diet culture. This culture is everywhere 24/7. Where does it come from? What are our behaviours? What is the science behind the beliefs? We will rebuild your self-esteem and even talk about your wardrobe so that you feel fabulous every day.
Parking, furniture, the toilet are all comfortably accessible to people in larger bodies.
Prévoyez entre 1h et 1h30 pour le 1er entretien et 1h pour les suivants.
Usually a coaching will last between 6 to 10 sessions. I work on behaviours. I refer clients to Intuitive Eating trained dieticians if necessary. I also collaborate with a
Je travaille les comportements. Je collabore avec des diététiciennes formées, elles aussi formée en Alimentation Intuitive en cas de besoin. De même avec une pharmacist nutrition therapist.
In person at the rue du cocher 8 à 7830 Hoves (Silly)
Online with the Zoom app.
Are you considering bariatric surgery?
I do not advocate for or against surgery. This coaching exists purely because it is an option that exists that will affect eating behaviours.
Bariatric surgery is an important decision that requires a lot of thought, lots of information, weighing the pros and cons to be able to make a choice. This choice isn’t always obvious especially when we are healthy.
I believe it’s preferable to work on eating behaviours before considering surgery through NLP and Intuitive Eating to ensure the best possible outcome for your surgery.
To help you we can work together on the following :
• Making a decision: I don’t influence you, I ask a lot of questions designed to allow you to get to your own answer.
• Managing fears: of the gastroscopy, complications, the psychologist appointments, how others view you, etc.
• Beliefs that stop you moving forward: “it’s the easy way out”, “it’s for people who don’t have enough willpower”, “I won’t be myself anymore after the operation”
• Communication with your loved ones: sharing your decision, to apprehend questions and comments.
• Conflict management
• Apprehend big changes
• Letting go
This coaching doesn’t replace seeing a psychologist, dietician or your surgical team whose support is indispensable. My work is complementary to theirs.